Pediatric Pain/Fever Relief:
Recommendations for Acetaminophen (Tylenol) Dosing
- Giving Acetaminophen prior to vaccination is not recommended.
- Acetaminophen should be administered based on the weight of child not age.
- Ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil) should not be used under 6 months of age.
- Your baby may run a fever after vaccination. This is not an uncommon occurrence.
- Consider using Acetaminophen only if your child develops symptoms, such as increased fussiness, or a fever of 101 degrees or greater. If symptoms continue, you may repeat a dose every 4 to 6 hours up to 5 doses in 24 hours.
- It is not recommended to give Acetaminophen automatically every 4-6 hours following vaccination.
ACETAMINOPHEN (TYLENOL) DOSING CHART
|Weight:||Milligram Dosage||Children's liquid 160mg/5ml||Children's soft chews 80mg each||Junior strength Caps or chews 160mg each|
|6-8 lbs||40mg||¼ tsp (1.25ml)||N/A||N/A|
|9-11 lbs||60mg||1/3 tsp (1.8ml)||N/A||N/A|
|12-17 lbs||80mg||½ tsp (2.5ml)||N/A||N/A|
|18-23 lbs||120mg||¾ tsp (3.75ml)||N/A||N/A|
|24-29 lbs||160mg||1 tsp (5ml)||2 tablets||1 tablet|
|30-35 lbs||200mg||1 ¼ tsp (6.25ml)||2 ½ tablets|
|36-40 lbs||240mg||1 ½ tsp (7.5ml)||3 tablets||1 ½ tablet|
|41-46 lbs||280mg||1 ¾ tsp (8.75ml)||3 ½ tablets|
|47-58 lbs||320mg||2 tsp (10ml)||4 tablets||2 tablets|
|59-69 lbs||400mg||2 ½ tsp(12.5ml)||5 tablets||2 ½ tablets|
|70-81 lbs||480mg||3 tsp (15ml)||6 tablets||3 tablets|
|82-94 lbs||560mg||3 ½ tsp (17.5ml)||7 tablets||3 ½ tablets|
|95-110 lbs||640mg||4 tsp (20ml)||8 tablets||4 tablets|